[3830] SS CW VA7RR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW VA7RR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 11:27:59 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VA7RR
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VA7RR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  137
   40:  175
   20:  617
   15:  171
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

A very interesting weekend for me.  I've been largely inactive for about a year
now - in fact, I don't think that I have listened to any CW since WW code in
07.

   Decided to fire up the home station, and try LP for the first time in a CW
SS.  We live on a city lot in the suburbs of Vancouver, BC, and have a single
72 foot tower with a bunch of Force 12 short boom monobanders on it.

   The station generally plays fairly well on 20, 15, and 10 (depending on
sunspots) in domestic contests, but 40 and 80 are always a challenge.  This
weekend was no exception.  I see from the the line scores that I have the
biggest Q totals on both 20 and 15 among the high-claimed LP Top Ten (as posted
so far).  I also see that I have the lowest Q totals on both 40 and 80 among
these same high-claimed LP Top Ten stations!

   Guess I have to figure out how to improve my sigs on 40, as I'm way down
from the rest of the pack, it would seem.

   Sunday was actually quite fun this time around.  Made half of my QSO total
on the second day, and averaged about 50/hr all day.

   Thanks to the XYL, Niki, VE7NKI, for keeping me well-fed throughout the
weekend, and thanks to all for the QSOs.

73,

Gary  VA7RR