[3830] SS SSB K6JEB SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6jeb@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6JEB SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:38:05 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6JEB
Operator(s): K6JEB
Station: K6JEB

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: East Bay
Operating Time (hrs): 20:23

------------
  160:    0
   80:   95
   40:  129
   20:  181
   15:    9
   10:    0
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

It was really tough to find a free spot initially so I spent the first good
while S&P.  The action Saturday night was on 40m in the early evening, which
gave way to a very long 80m band late Saturday.  However, my relatively low
antenna for 80, just wasn't giving me any traction until quite late that
evening when the rates picked-up for the last hour before bedtime.

Sunday started OK and I thought maybe things were going to be looking up since
I was able to squeeze into a spot on 20m where I picked-up several multipliers.
 My last two multipliers were NL and PR, in that order.  I decided that I wasn't
going to worry about a clean sweep after I worked the VO1.  My reasoning was I'd
be in good company since the few KP4's were real light at my QTH and I didn't
think many people were going to get to work them.  So after sitting on the top
end of 20m CQing, along comes not one, but TWO KP4's within ten kilohertz from
me.  It took several tries, but the persistence paid off.  I took a short
break, cracked-open a cleansweep beer, and went back to work.

It was great to hear so many QRP stations with great signals!!!

The last hour was quite pathetic from my QTH.  Stations close-in weren't
hearing me on 80m and it didn't seem anyone else could until I realized there
was a workable 'ring' out about 750-1500 miles where I was being heard.

Perhaps next year conditions will be even more favorable.  I'm going to get to
working on a better antenna for 80m.  All the same, I had a blast and thanks to
everyone for another great Sweepstakes!

73!
Jack, K6JEB
www.k6jeb.com