[3830] SS SSB K4LY Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K4LY Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 05:25:49 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 8

------------
  160:
   80:   67
   40:   66
   20:   51
   15:   17
   10:
------------

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

Not much time this weekend to operate so I did an experiment.  Saturday
afternoon/evening I operated 4 hours with old Argonaut 509 running about 2
watts out and worked 72 stations. Some even said I was loud! My antennas are a
trap dipole on 10/15/20 at 70', a 40M dipole at 60' and a Hygain Hytower.  The
Argo has no 2nd VFO or stacking, plus something is wrong with the dial string
tension which made it impossible to keep the dial on some frequencies.  Worked
30 states.  On Sunday afternoon/evening I operated another 4 hours, this time
with my TS-850 contest rig at 5 watts and made an additional 129 contacts.  The
extra 3db+, better receive, and ability to stack 5 stations and continually
return to them made for a much more efficient QRP operation (duh).  All was
S+P.  I did hear all 50 states (worked 45), but not all sections. Was great to
work old friends W0ETT, K0KE, N9CO, and many others.  I called a lot of CO
stations in my old Grand Mesa club, but was unable to work most of them.  I'll
try to operate both nights of the 160M test (if I can get my inv L up higher
where it was last year).. CU there.
Thanks for your good ears.  Doug