[3830] SS SSB W1XX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1xx@cox.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W1XX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:49:05 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W1XX
Operator(s): W1XX
Station: W1XX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: RI
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  463
   40:  819
   20:  438
   15:   26
   10:
------------

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

In 2007, we won the New England high power plaque pretty much by default with a
mere 201K points...using an FT-847 radio.  It's a nice little radio left over
from VHF mountain-topping days, but hardly a radio for competive HF contesting.
 So station improvements started with a mint stock 1000MP found on E-Bay and
immediately upgraded with INRAD filters.  Three Beverage antennas helped the
hearing on 80 and 40.  Then the week before the contest, the 80 meter domestic
signal was improved dramatically (instead of the vertical used for DXing) with
a low 3-element wire beam pointed west...which proved to be a killer antenna
with runs consistently over 100 on the rate meter during the wee hours.

I was pleased to top my goal of 1500 Qs with over 1700...probably still not
enough to retain top New England honors...but plenty satisfying nonetheless.
Since I almost never work the elusive NWT multiplier, it was a thrilll to be
CALLED by a VE8 on Sunday who had only worked five Qs previously.  As always
the "thanks for Rhode Island" comments were plentifull.  The voice nearly gave
out in the last few hours, but we managed in spite of a CK of "54" to somehow
remain in the chair long enough for the full 24 hours.

Radio:  Yaesu FT-1000MP
Amp:  Drake L-4B
Antennas:  M2 40M 2-el Yagi at 100 ft.
           M2 KT36XA at 90 ft.