[3830] CQWW CW VO1HE SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VO1HE SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:43:44 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VO1HE
Operator(s): VO1HE
Station: VO1HE

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: The Rock
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:
   40:  341    27      101
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

All S&P.

Decided to stick to one band again. Thought I'd get a bit of time off during
the day but 40 was open here both entire days to somewhere and a lot of the
signals were loud.

I reached my goal of DXCC on 40 and wanted at least half the zones so that
worked out but it was touch and go down to the wire. Managed to get the last
few countries within a few kcs toward the end.

The pileups are getting more and more unruly all the time. Some guys never stop
calling to hear if they've been answered. Just can't understand that. There were
a couple pileups that I still have no idea who they were calling because they
never stopped. I have to say that a lot of this is probably the fault of the
DX. Quite often I'd hear the DX come back to a 1ABC call and a bunch of
stations with no 1, A, B, or C in their calls would start up again. One of them
would be loud so the DX would abandon the 1ABC and work the loud guy. Some
people call that a "technique" but it just opens up the door to everyone to
keep calling. The way of the future I guess.

Still a few guys declining to send their calls every few Qs or so but I didn't
notice that as much. When the contest started, in the first few contacts, I
worked 3 stations and got 7 reports. There was one frequency where I heard a
station CQ, answered him and had 3 reports come back at me. Never heard the
other 2 call CQ at all. I started putting the station call in my exchange and
never had anyone balk at it so I might keep going with that in the future on
really crowded bands. I stopped doing that when the band thinned out a bit on
Saturday.

Anyway, I worked a few new ones for that band. Managed to get 2 JAs early
Sunday. They were weak but they heard me.

CU in the next one.

73 -- Paul VO1HE