[3830] CQWW CW N6TV SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6TV SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:08:35 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N6TV
Operator(s): N6TV
Station: N6TV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 44.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   25    11       15
   80:  291    27       60
   40:  858    30       91
   20:  695    32       89
   15:   81    18       38
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I finished about 250 QSOs ahead of last year, despite the very poor 15m
conditions.  Better off-time planning may have made the biggest difference,
plus the new Elecraft K3s really proved themselves.  I sure am glad I ordered
the 250 Hz filters, as I had to use them quite a bit!

I used my Perseus SDR and factory software as a band scope only; I did not use
CW Skimmer due to the rule change.  N6TJ should be proud of that.  I just did
not want to enter as "Assisted" with Skimmer, due to the severe WRTC point
penalty (30%) when you enter in the Assisted category.

I *was* planning to experiment with CW Skimmer in the new "Blind" mode which is
legal for single-ops, but it is not fully supported by Win-Test yet, so I
couldn't make it work.  Some day maybe we'll all have the point-to-tune feature
that CT1BOH has discussed, all nicely integrated with our legacy transceivers.

We'll see how my station on a city lot fared against the West Coast big guns on
the ridgetops.  Thanks to N6MJ at W6YI, N6TJ(?) at W6RJ, K7RL, and K6NA for some
very tough competition that kept me motivated to stay awake and pushing.

Ants:  5 el 10, 5 el 15, 5 el 20, 3 el 40, rotary 80m dipole, all on one 89'
crank-up tower, shunt-fed on 160m.  Rx Loop for 160m (no beverages).

Rig:  Elecraft K3 (2), Alpha 87A, Alpha 86

Software:  Win-Test + microHAM MK2R+ SO2R box

Highlight:  Working 3X5A on five bands including 160m, plus the long path 40m
opening to some nice Eastern Europe multipliers Sunday morning.

Tip for the EUs:  when signals are traveling via long path with lots of Auroral
flutter, please don't send at your usual 40 WPM!  Leave lots of spaces between
characters to leave time for the echoes to cease.

Lowlight:  all those other multipliers that just could not hear me nearly as
well as I was hearing them.  Maybe they were dealing with a lot of local noise
and QRM.

73,
Bob, N6TV