[3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cn@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K8CN SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:25:47 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Durham NH
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:    9     3        7
   40:   30    11       25
   20:   72    13       44
   15:    5     5        5
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Radio: Elecraft K2 @ 5W
Antennas: 135 foot doublet (height unmentionable), 20 M attic dipole.

I was fired up for CQWW after an unexpectedly good time in ARRL SS (also QRP
entry), but knew things were going to be tough due to (1) Thanksgiving weekend
family obligations, and (2)sad state of disrepair into which my all-band
doublet had fallen. Oh yes, (3) burst water heater with mild basement flooding
on Thanksgiving day. With the doublet center below the level of the operating
position, I anticipated tough going on 80 and 40, but not the frustrating
head-banging of Friday night.  I gave up any semblance of objectives, much less
quantitative goals, and was happy just to duck into the shack for an hour at a
time between other family activities and see what I could work for fun.  Could
it be that last year's CQWW and this year's ARRL DX tests were merely the
siren's call for a QRP newbie?  Now what can I sling together for the ARRL 10
meter test?.......there's no end to the self-inflicted punishment of QRP with
simple (hmmm, too simple, I think) wire antennas!

73, and thanks to all the keen listeners who amaze me with their skills -- I
never hear other QRP stations except AA1CA (local friend) and KR2Q!

-- Mike, K8CN