[3830] CQWW CW K5GO(N5DX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K5GO(N5DX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 06:31:26 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: N5DX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:   56    17       35
   80:  288    24       78
   40: 1013    37      110
   20: 1213    33      116
   15:  116    23       54
   10:    8     4        6
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

This was a change for the K5GO station.  CQWW CW has always been our big contest
and we always have worked it MULTI-MULTI.  I ended up having to work the contest
SOAB with hopes of getting more points for the WRTC.  It was nice to have N5OE
drive all the way from Texas and help out with things before and during the
contest.  Also, KM5G and K5LG showed up during the contest for a little while
to hang out.

I went into the contest with a goal of 4.5 million points.  Band breakdowns:

160: Not good from here.  My goal was 50 countries going into the contest.
Propogation to EU seemed to be limited to Western Europe.  I probably missed a
lot of easy Caribbean mults.

80: Not nearly as good as last year.  My goal going in was 400 contacts and 90
countries.  I was only able to run Europe for a short time Friday night around
EU sunrise.  Very aggravating to have BA4T CQing for hours with a good signal
and to never work him.  We need something better than a dipole for the
Northwest.

40: Better than expected.  Goal going in was 700 contacts and 110 countries.
Had a great run of Europe the last 3 hours of the contest.  Really exciting to
find and work 8Q7DV.  Bummer to try and work 4L0A at the start of the contest
only to have him CQ in my face.  Never heard him again on 40, but worked him on
80.  Conditions seemed better the second half of the contest on this band.
Getting a frequency low in the band is imperative for running EU or JA from
here.

20: Better than expected.  Goal going in was 1000 contacts and 120 countries.
   I've never had European runs like what was experienced in this contest.  Both
days I had hourly rates in the 140s.  At times I thought I was listening to
K5ZD's audio, just wish I could copy calls as good as he can.

15: Much worse than expected.  Goal going in was 400 contacts and 100
countries.  In CQWW phone I was able to run EU for a couple of hours both
mornings.  There were no European runs this time.  Very few of the Europeans
worked even moved the meter.  Got lucky to work two JAs Saturday evening.

10: As expected.  Well, probably a little worse.  Only opened for a couple of
hours to South America Saturday.  Heard one LU Sunday.

I should have done a better job on multipliers.  There were a lot out there.
It is frustrating to work the contest one time and know that I probably won't
work it again SOAB.  But we have a lot of fun working it Multi-Multi and are
looking forward to the local competition with NR5M.   Station details at
WWW.K5GO.COM

73,

Kevin/N5DX