[3830] CQWW CW 4O3A SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, yt6a@t-com.me
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW 4O3A SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:42:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 4O3A
Operator(s): 4O3A
Station: 4O3A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 46
Radios: SO2R

  160:  159    10       45
   80:  684    27       88
   40: 1992    39      119
   20: 2455    36      112
   15:  362    28       78
   10:   25     5       14
------------------------------

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

First conclusion:

Missed good chance to make my best result ever, better then last year. Goal was
8M points, and even with worse conditions on 15M and 10M, it was almost
possible. But had a lot of problems, with happy final at the end. ( Prices
comes Monday and draw me back from hilltop in haven, hahaha )

1 - Start with problems â?? I thought it was problem?
Have to say that my station is pretty OK and almost all elements inside and
outside are installed. SO2R and station automation is great and comfort is
superb.
Only one important element I canâ??t control is â?? weather.
Friday evening starts with worse scenario I was afraid about - south wind with
rain and lot of noise. But noise was not the worse I had on station and pile up
was good.  Everything was under control and score was 10% higher than last year.
But problem does not start yet. It comes suddenly Saturday lunch time, when
weather become to be better and bands clear.
2 - Real problem on scene!
Saturday afternoon I lost electricity. Since electricity did not come back
until sunset, I understand that electricity failure has to be serious.
Generator was switched on and it does not looks as any problem at all. Butâ?¦
Suddenly, generator started to break after hour or two. And then is stopped
every 10 â?? 15 minutes. Looks like diesel filter was bad, because after
pumping diesel it started again normally. And next 16 hours I was in total
mess. Generator stopped every 15 â?? 20 minutes, after I had to shut down all
equipments, except PC which was connected on UPS, go in generator room with
Boro 4O6Z, pump diesel, started again and come back in shack to wait until AMP
timer switched on. Then I had to search for new frequency, building up pileup
etcâ?¦
I was really very close to quit contest, but fortunately survive and left in
chair somehow.

3 - Nightmare finished at Sunday morningâ?¦
Total damage is â?? 2 hours without any electricity and 14 hours with lot of
disturbance and operating 80% of this time.
I lost advantage I had before losing electricity and Sunday morning, when
electricity come back I was 600 QSOâ??s behind last year result. This
difference was kept until the end. To be realistic, without disturbing I was
able to make at least 600Qs more, what should make score of 7,5M points.

Good ones is I did not quit. I was so mad and disappointed, and decided to shut
all down, but after 10 minutes said â?? NO? Too much to left both CQ WWs?!

In generally, it was Low band contest. Bad propagation on 15M and 10M did
limitation and final multiplier score is worse I ever had. Total QSO points is
same as last year, what mean that average QSO weight is better because I did
more of 3 point QSOs on 40M. Of course, 40M was main band and many rear
stations called me â?? H44, CE0, FK, FOâ?¦.Sunday evening I finished on 40M,
and it sounds great. Clear band, only DX callers.

Thanks to all who called me. My truly congratulation  to Ben, DL6FBL who again
make nice show and did great score from average station and good location. Also
to Toni, who had his own contest and pileupâ??s. Looking forward to see what
surprise he has for us â?? poor EU contesters.

CU in CQ WW 160

73
Ranko