[3830] CQWW CW K7SS SOSB/20 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, desk@nwlink.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K7SS SOSB/20 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:52:16 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7SS
Operator(s): K7SS
Station: K7SS

Class: SOSB/20 QRP
QTH: wa
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  242    28       63
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Good fun in this one. Decided to try for a QRP single band on 20. Started out
great with LOUD JA and Asia. Pacific Islands were pretty much non existent with
only a couple ZLs in the log, and the usual very loud KH6s. Didn't get a VK
double mult til late Sunday. As everyone up in this neck of the woods noted,
the middle of EU was just not there for us this year. Never worked a G, SM, DL,
I, OK, etc etc. However CT and EA was loud and workable, but I cant recall a
recent DX contest, on 20,  in which we didn't work a single central EU station.
20 felt pretty much like being on 15 in a low to mid-cycle year, with only the
edge of EU and zone 33 pretty much being the DX in that direction. Had to laugh
listening to the D4C and 3X5A pileups....like a swarm of hornets and it lasted
for hours. Didnt even try on the first day, hoping there might be a minor lull
and a shot on Sunday, which there was.  Decided to get on 160 in the late
evening and wound up getting my first ever 160 WAC, was short only Africa and
on Saturday nite 3X5A rose above the noise beautifully and was worked. YEAHH!!
Back on 20 what was missed into EU was made up for with great ASIA opening both
afternoons. Heard and missed the JT and the HS, but was able to work most
others. Almost all S&P, and found that if there were more than two or three
calling the DX, it was most likely unworkable. Pretty much had to have a clear
shot to work anyone. Rarely able to call over anyone to get the DX. Did hear
zones 36 and 37 calling folks, but they never sat still long enough to call em.
 Leaving a pileup and coming back in 10 minutes often proved fruitful, however
once the packet swarm found someone you could pretty much forget them for some
time. The swarming on newly found and spotted stations seemed ferocious. All in
all great fun and would do it again. One last note, I just have to comment on
the wonderful CW skill level noticed this weekend. Sounds like CW is here to
stay. Great ops with great ears everywhere !  73 Danny K7SS