[3830] CQWW CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AD1C SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:33:19 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:    3     2        2
   40:  109    20       48
   20:  207    24       74
   15:   25    11       18
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM 756 Pro III (100W)
Antenna:   half-G5RV in attic
Software:  WriteLog 10.69D
Hardware:  microHAM microKEYER (CW)

This contest was either a labor of love, or stupidity, or both.  An average of
15 QSOs/hour for 24 hours?  Surely there's a better way to spend one's time!

I spent the 1.5 weeks before the contest checking out 20 meters before I went
to work, trying to determine when European signals peaked.  I was hoping to
work a bunch in the contest.  Having a K index of 0 didn't hurt.  Friday
morning I worked LZ, HA, PA, YU and HB0 between 1530-1630z, so was feeling
good.  Right before the contest started, I worked DJ, 9A and OM on 40, so was
feeling even better that I would put lots of Europe into my log.

I started the contest on 20, figuring 40 would be bedlam.  I was rewarded by
working RW0CWA and DU3NXE as my first two QSOs.  I had never worked a Zone 27
before from this QTH!  I worked a few JAs and a KH6, and headed to 40, but I
was unable to work any Europe.

I set the alarm to wake up at 1030z (3:30 a.m. local time), hoping to catch
some of the Caribbean on 40 before the sun rose there and they left to go work
Europe on 20.  Though I worked some, I don't think the mission was that
successful.  However, I did pick up VK6LW at 1046z, my first Zone 29 from this
QTH, followed by ZM1A at 1049z, my first ZL.  After working three VEs, and
taking a break to work T31DX on 40SSB, I took an hour off and came back at
1343z. This time, I worked a few more JAs, then B5A at 1349z for my first China
and Zone 24!  After a few more JAs and VEs, I pulled the plug on 40 and finally
went up to 20 (I had been checking 20 earlier, but hadn't heard any Europe).

OM7M was my first Europe of the contest at 1430z.  At 1551z, I worked 9A5P, who
was essentially the last Europe I'd work Saturday, though I did work CT1JLZ
about 20 minutes later.  I made my first two QSOs on 15 at 1621z (PZ5TT and an
always loud CU2X - that would be the ONLY Europe I work on 15 during the entire
contest). Back to 20, worked EE5W at 1704z, and was fortunate to get through to
OX5WW at 1711z for the double mult.  Another trip to 15 to work P40W and 6Y1V,
who was one of the loudest, most consistent stations on 15 during the contest.

At 1640z, I tuned to 10 meters, heard KO7X and had a partial QSO, which I
didn't log. Sorry, Alan.  I didn't hear anyone else on 10 the entire weekend.

At 2045 I broke through the 3X5A pileup on 20.  Though I heard them on both 15
and 40 later, this was my only QSO with the VooDudes.

The rest of the day, I basically bounced between 20 and 15 trying to work
anything new I heard.  I checked 40 at 2025z, worked VY2TT but didn't hear any
Europe. At 2239z, I finally worked TM2S on 40, followed by CU2X and EF8M, but
that was it.  Back on 20, I worked RW0LT at 2350z, followed by KG6DX (on the
first call) a few minutes later.  I worked 6 more Europeans on 40 between 0001
and 0023z, but then had to QRT to go to a birthday party.  I was not thrilled
with how few Europeans I had worked on 40, though I knew it was going to be
tough.  Some were loud and CQ'd in my face, some were not that loud but came
back on the first call.

At the half-way point, I had just over 200 QSOs and had already worked 10 new
ones for my Colorado restart DXCC.  I made a list of "easy" mults I had worked
on other bands but missed on 20 (6Y, 8P, V4, V2, HI, FJ, VP5, YS, CO, KP4 and
HK).  Before the contest ended, I had worked them all except for CO.  There
were lots of Cubans on 40, but few on 20.

I returned from the party and got back on the air at 0630z.  Picked up some
good double mults like PR1T and D4C.  My antenna doesn't really work on 80, but
I made a decision to go there just before going to sleep, to pick up the easy K,
VE, Zone 3 and 4 multipliers.  Thanks to the VE7SV op on 40 who told me where to
find them on 80.

I abandoned the 10z wakeup Sunday morning and didn't get back on the air until
1330z.  More JAs and VEs on 40, found VE2XAA/2 for the Zone 2 mult.  I had
written myself a note about the total lack of Scandinavia (LA/OH/SM) and Zone
16 in the contest, then just after that, I worked OH6M at 1402z and 5 minutes
later SK3W for two new mults on 40.  I heard a couple of Russians, but not
strong enough to get their attention.

I got started again on 20 at 1421z, and worked more Europe until 1635z.  Once
20 dies to Europe, it's really dead, at least at my QTH.  So I went to 15,
worked VE2XAA/2 for a rare double-mult.  15 was very spotty.  Signals came up
out of the noise for a little bit, then disappeared.  So I just sat on the loud
stations and called until I worked them or gave up.  I repeated this a couple of
times, and added a few new mults each time.  I couldn't get through to KP2M for
some reason, even though they had a decent signal on 15.

I checked 40 again at 2114z, worked VA3NR but still no Europe.  So it was back
to 20 for all but the last 15 minutes of the contest, except for working 8P5A
at 2307z on 40 (I kept checking 40, but no action).  I called CQ once the
entire weekend (14088.77, a good frequency :-), hoping to have a few JAs call
in, and a zero-pointer came back at 2212z.  That was it!  I worked every JA I
could find, including beating K1TTT to JS6RGY at 2335z (take that, Dave :-) but
also got very lucky and worked AH0BT at 2248z, and YE1ZAT at 2312z.  I probably
spent too much time calling the YE1, and should have been trying to work stuff
on 40, but I couldn't help myself.  The same thing happened with the two OA4s
on 20.  I called OA4SS for a long time as I could hear the pileup dwindling.
Then someone spotted it and the pileup grew again.  Argh!  Same thing with
VP2MDG.  I called OA4WW on-and-off a few times, and finally got through, but it
took a long time.

In the last 10 minutes, I worked M6T, OK5W and OM7M on 40 for two new mults.

I was disappointed to not work KL7 on 40, which would have been my last state
on that band. I was also looking for FJ/WJ2O on 15 for an all-time new band
country, but didn't get that one either.

Overall, I added 20 new countries to my DXCC total, now at 118 worked.  I added
4 new zones (24, 27, 28 and 29).  I worked 83 different entities in the contest.
 I gained a little more confidence with the station capabilities.  And I had
fun, which is the most important part!

Continent Report:

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    AS       0      0     22     37      0      0      59    17.2
    OC       0      0      9      9      3      0      21     6.1
    NA       0      3     50     68     12      0     133    38.7
    SA       0      0     13     20      9      0      42    12.2
    EU       0      0     12     68      1      0      81    23.5
    AF       0      0      3      5      0      0       8     2.3

Country Report:

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total

    3X                            1                     1
    4O                            1                     1
    6Y                     1      1      1              3
    8P                     1      1      1              3
    9A                     1      2                     3
    BY                     1                            1
    C6                     1      1                     2
    CE                            1                     1
    CM                     5                            5
    CT                            1                     1
   CT3                     1      2                     3
    CU                     1      1      1              3
    CX                            1      1              2
    D4                     1      1                     2
    DL                           17                    17
    DU                            1                     1
    E7                            1                     1
    EA                            3                     3
   EA6                            1                     1
   EA8                     1      1                     2
     F                     1      8                     9
    FG                     1                            1
    FJ                     1                            1
    FM                            2                     2
    FS                     1      1                     2
     G                     1      3                     4
    GM                            1                     1
    GW                            1                     1
    HA                            2                     2
    HB                            2                     2
    HC                     1      2                     3
   HC8                     1      1      1              3
    HI                     1      1      1              3
    HK                     1      2                     3
 HK0/a                     1      1      1              3
     I                            3                     3
    J3                     1      1                     2
    J6                     1      2                     3
    J8                            1                     1
    JA                    21     35                    56
     K              2      1      2      2              7
   KH0                            1                     1
   KH2                            1                     1
   KH6                     6      5      3             14
    KL                            6                     6
   KP2                     1      1                     2
   KP4                     1      1                     2
    LU                     1      1                     2
    LX                            1                     1
    LZ                            1                     1
    OA                            1                     1
    OE                     1      1                     2
    OH                     1                            1
    OK                     3      4                     7
    OM                     1      2                     3
    ON                            2                     2
    OX                            1                     1
    P4                     3      2      1              6
    PA                            3                     3
   PJ2                     2      2      2              6
    PY                     2      5      3             10
    PZ                            1      1              2
    S5                     1      6                     7
    SM                     1                            1
    TG                            1                     1
    TI                     1      1                     2
   UA9                            2                     2
    V2                     1      1                     2
    V3                     1      1      1              3
    V4                            1      1              2
    VE              1     23     31      2             57
    VK                     1                            1
  VP2M                                   1              1
   VP5                            1                     1
   VP9                            1                     1
    XE                     2      3                     5
    YB                            1                     1
    YN                     2      2                     4
    YS                     1      1                     2
    YU                            1                     1
    YV                     2      1                     3
    ZF                     1      1      1              3
    ZL                     2                            2