[3830] CQWW CW CK2DWA(@VE2DWA) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve2dwa@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CK2DWA(@VE2DWA) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:05:42 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CK2DWA
Operator(s): LW8EXF, LU7DW/VE2DWA, VE2GK, VE3KI, VO1AU
Station: VE2DWA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Aylmer-QC
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:  204    49       15
   80:  277    74       19
   40:  368    96       25
   20:  786   109       25
   15:   65    46       19
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Equipment Description: Yaesu FT-1000MP, Elecraft K3, Kenwood TS-930, Kenwood
TL-922, Ten-Tec Titan, Heathkit SB-200

Antennas : TH7 @ 15 meter, TH3 @ 3 meter, dipoles for 40, 80 y 160, Inverted L
for 160

PC: 2 Notebooks and 2 desktop PIII & PII PCs W/N1MM V 8.11

Comentarios: Murphy got stuck in the ice outside the house and spent the
weekend at the station, several items got broken: 2 ports in the brand new
SixPak, the coaxil cable in rotative tribander, the rotor control, the parallel
port in our main PC, the inverted L for 160 meter and the 2 chairs for the
shack.. even the ionosphere got broken, we didn't make a single QSO in 10
meter

Friday was a very long day at work and I've arrived home only 45 minutes before
contest starts while we were waiting for VE3KI (our N1MM guru) together with
VO1AU we assembled the 2 stations, therefore we started the contest one hour
later.

The propagation was in our expectation, lots of low band and waiting for 20
meter openning to EU.  Around 3 hours in the contest the keying parallel
port got dead, I need to brought my wife's PII PC to the shack, download N1MM,
configuring, etc... here we lost another hour.  Also we start to have
problem in the brand new SixPak, finnally we did all antenna switching "old
fashion style" by hand.  Having a visit from VE2ZAZ was a nice experience, I
hope he will be operating with us in a near future

Satuday was a good day 20 meter open with EU, but not a signal in 10 meter and
very few in 15 meter.  In the evening we noticed some problems in the RX using
the TH7, after few more QSOs the antenna went died, VO1AU tried to climb the
tower, but is was icy and very slippery, therefore our best 20 antennas was a
TH3 fixed to EU @ 3 meter high in 15 meter we have a 40 meter dipole and in 10
meter an 80 meter dipole.

Saturday night the snow storm arrived, the band were full of snow statics and
we were out of the air for three hours. Sunday was a LONG day with our
poor antennas, we did S&P all day long getting some multipliers in 20 and 15,
10 meter was dead, but we listened K1TTT calling CQs, but we could get his
exchange.

I've use for a first time a K3, very good radio, but the audio sound very
digital for my ears, anyway I hope to get one of this radio in a future to use
together with the TS-930 for my station.

Using CK2 as a prefix got many people confusing us as KK2, KC2 and K2, not a
good CW PFX.

As my mentor and friend K3LR say: I need to start to improve my station now,
because next contest preparation starts next second after the actual contest
finish...

Myself only I need some money and some time to do the work :-).

TNX to LW8EXF for her support and the others to came to operate/visit and
having the first MS from my QTH.

See you in ARRL 160 this weekend, I'll be as VE2DWA part time operation

73, Claudio LU7DW/VE2DWA/VE3AP