[3830] ARRL 160 K6VVA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K6VVA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:17:42 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Checklog, USA
Operating Time (hrs): ~

Total:  QSOs = 12  Sections = 8  Countries = 0  Total Score = 192

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

*** CHECKLOG ***

Friday I raised one end of the Carolina Windom 160 up another 10 feet on Locust
Peak.  Tnx to a few sunny days, it appeared I would have enough solar battery
power to operate remotely for a while with 100 watts.

The home RF Hole QTH low 160m Inverted L was repaired 'just in case', although
using two locations would of course yield a Checklog.

UGH! Raising the end of the antenna 10 feet sent the SWR whacko to over 3:1
with no tuner.  {SIGH} I decided to try 5 watts QRP. My TS-480 on Locust Peak
didn't burb, but few people could hear me.  I made a couple of CA Q's and
Tree's good ears also copied me.

Decided to fire up RF from the home QTH but the #&^! SPE amp kept kicking off
even though I retuned several times.  So I switched to my ALS-600S at 500 watts
and gave it another go.  There were a lot of weak signals and it ended up an
exercise in futility so went to bed.

Saturday Night I gave it another go, but the condx sounded worse. I made a few
Q's and then my burlgar/smoke alarm started tripping.  Backed off the drive to
yield 350w on the amp, and called and called and called some guys but no dice.

Finally, I heard fellow NCCC'er NT6K so gave Dave a buzz (misssssstyping N6TK
into the callsign window).  Well, I found out Dave works dupes!  When I
corrected his call in the Confuzer, there was the red dupe notice.  Since Dave
was only my 13th QSO, I felt really, really dumb.

{CLICK-CLICK-CLICK} - that was the sound of turning everything off and checking
the DirectTV movie listings.

73 & Tnx for the Q's (and my only dupe, Dave)...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust