[3830] ARRL 160 VE3RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tony.osman@xplornet.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE3RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 09:08:20 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3RZ
Operator(s): VE3RZ
Station: VE3RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1022  Sections = 70  Countries = 21  Total Score = 194,376

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Rig: K2/100w
Amp: Commander HF1250
Ant: Inverted L 160ft 40ft high
S/W: N1MM

First time using an amp on 160m!  Was looking forward to seeing how this would
change my scores - set target of 1000 qs.  Friday night was a blast so worked
through until 2:00am local.  Having worked all Friday, had to go and get a rest
- set alarm for sunrise.  Got up at 06:00 but didnt hear any major DX, worked US
until 08:00am local. Finished with 675 Qs and 77 mults. Spent couple of hours in
bed and then did chores and shopping.

Got back on band at 2:00pm local, now the CQ grind - thank the lord for memory
keyers!  Had so many CQs that I started changing message just so I would have
something different to listen to in the headphones!  Saturday night seemed down
on Friday night, but then after 9:00pm local, conditions changed and the noise
level dropped to almost nothing (that is if you discount the noise from
everyone trying to CQ at the same time and mostly on my frequency!).  Spent
some time CQing and having many W6/7 qsos with stations at a 0 sig level, just
barely there, but readable because of the lack of noise.

Finally threw in the towel at 12:00am after meeting the target of Qs - finished
with 1022 qs and 91 mults.

Highlights - being called by PJ2DX while CQing at the low end of the band -
finding 5K0T and working him on first call before packet hounds found him! -
being called by European stations - GW, PA, F, SM, 9A while CQing.....

Lowlights - this is only the Gentleman's band when not in contest!!  twice ran
off frequency by stations who parked calling CQ blind....one even had nerve to
tell me to QSY after I had been on freq for almost 20mins....  One signal
almost 2khz wide which caused some problems in trying to work stations close.

Single QSOs with BC, EB, EWA, ID, SF, KP2, WTX and most DX. 44 Ontario stations
worked - Go, go CCO!

New lessons - must get better RX antenna - will try a beverage on EU next.
Worked everything I heard but must have had some alligator ears especially on
Friday night when the noise level was higher.

Thanks to all for the Qs and I had a blast.

73, Tony
VE3RZ