[3830] CQWW CW VE6JY(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7rr@telus.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6JY(VA7RR) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:30:23 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6JY
Operator(s): VA7RR
Station: VE6JY

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Lamont, AB
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1923    34      124
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1923    34      124  Total Score = 716,668

Club:

Comments:

Many thanks to Don, VE6JY, for hosting me for another CW WW weekend - this is
the 5th time that I've made the plane ride from home near Vancouver, BC, to
Don's QTH a bit northeast of Edmonton, AB, for Worldwide code.  It's been
single band 20 for the past 4 years, and it's always worth the trip.

   Conditions up our way were both good, and not so good.  As far as calling CQ
goes, the band closed promptly both evenings right after sundown.  Normally, I
will get openings off and on over the pole throughout the night, where I can
S&P at up to about 20/hr.  Didn't happen this year.  There's usually a nice
peak into Z21, 22, and 23 about 05-06Z.  Although geomagentic conditions were
quiet, this opening produced nothing except A45XR on Friday night, and was not
there at all on Saturday evening.  Had a good shot at a VU2, JT, and A73A on
Friday at this time, but they couldn't hear me - all responded to my call(s) by
making another CQ.  All in all, I got about five hours of sleep on Saturday
evening - wish it were less.

    What was good was the overall activity, and the openings to EU were better
for me than in the past couple of CW WW contests.  For the first time, I was
able to run EU from about 10Z-1130Z on Sunday morning before sunrise.  I knew
that this opening was a possibility, but had never encountered 20M band
conditions good enough to experience it.   We also got about 1-1/2 hours each
day of runnable Europe from about 1515Z to 1645Z.  Quite a difference from last
year, when only a handful of EUs answered a CQ the entire weekend.

    The USA stations were plentiful, and a number of Africans called in during
the USA run times.

    Many thanks to all for the Q's.

73,

Gary  VA7RR