[3830] ARRL 160 W8JI(VE7ZO) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7zo@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W8JI(VE7ZO) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:09:41 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W8JI
Operator(s): VE7ZO
Station: W8JI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Barnesville, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 35

Total:  QSOs = 1792  Sections = 77  Countries = 47  Total Score = 508,400

Club:

Comments:

This was my second chance to operate 160M from Tom's fine station and first as a
single op.  The receiving set-up remains outstanding, requiring constant
discipline to check other than prime directions for callers due to the high
directivity of the beverage and vertical arrays.  No doubt I missed more than a
few Q's but improved as the contest wore on.  My apologies for those I no doubt
overlooked.

Conditions were down from the previous weekend's CQ WW but there were enough
multipliers to make it interesting.  Signal levels from Europe were never high
although propagation extended into European Russia on both days.  The JA
opening was short on Saturday (7) and shorter on Sunday (1) with an RW0 in the
mix.  Apart from several KH6's, no other Pacific stations were worked.  Ended
up only missing PR/AK/NT sections with VE4 and WY calling early Sunday
morning.

With all of the station improvements occurring on other bands at the W8JI
station, the dipole that serves as the second transmitting antenna was down.
However,  Tom was able to get another receiver set up on Saturday that improved
S&P'ing and the mult count although QSYing was a tad awkward.  Thanks again to
Tom for being an excellent host and to all those that answered my call during
this enjoyable contest.