[3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 18:51:17 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 4.25

Total:  QSOs = 149  Sections = 33  Countries = 0  Total Score = 9,834

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

2.5 hours Saturday nite from 00Z, and 1.75 hours Sunday morning from 10Z.  Much
better results than previous effort.  I fed the 100-ft dipole as a dipole and I
learned how to use the TS-850's auto-tuner (RTFM!!).  So I was running 50 to 70W
with SWR close to flat, instead of previous 5 to 10W with SWR near infinity.
Now all I have to do is learn how to operate 160.  I sort-of remembered that
there is a DX window, but I did not know where it was.  So I started with S&P,
figuring if I heard a W/VE calling CQ TEST, then I was allowed to answer them.
Later I tried some CQs.  At one point I was selling some wares on 1830.7, until
N3IQ told me I was in the DX band.  Thanks (really), Brian.

Even though I was fresh blood CQs were not working too well, and I was
wondering if anybody was using packet.  I found out Sunday morning about 1011Z.
 Somebody must have spotted me because I had 15 QSOs in the next 10 minutes, and
10 more in the 12 minutes after that.  BTW, it's easy to find a CQ freq if you
can hear only the top tier signals.  I figure that I'm not bothering anybody I
can't hear, and maybe I'll be loud enough somewhere for an S&P to hear me.

Best distance was SFL and SD; heard some MAR, but all S&P, and not for me.
Also W3CG in WPA (the call is now in my wet-ware call history file).  Never
heard any DX or Delaware(!).

73, Art K3KU