[3830] ARRL 160 N0JK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0jk@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N0JK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:04:39 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: N0JK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 15

Total:  QSOs = 166  Sections = 44  Countries = 0  Total Score = 14,608

Club:

Comments:

I live in a "no outside" antenna sub-division, with no trees either to put up
wires. So to hand out a few points, I bought a 100 ft. length of 24 ga. wire
from the Hardware store for $4 Friday afternoon and taped it along side our
house. Tossed the end over the garage. No exactly a "powerhouse" antenna. Ran a
FT-897 (no CW filter) and a MFJ tuner. It actually loaded up OK. I figured I
might work a couple of the "big guns." As dusk approached I turned on the radio
and could hear many stations CQing away. Figured it would be pointless to call
any before it got dark, but what the heck. K0PY KS went into the log at 2239
followed by K9CT IL at 2241 utc. This thing works!  By 0410 UTC I had 100
stations in the log "Search & Pouncing." We had to go to Tulsa Saturday to
visit my son, so shut down early. Picked up a few Qs Saturday morning including
WA7LNW UT at 1313 UTC at sunrise. Got back Saturday evening and operated a few
more hours. I could copy some of DX well including P40TA, ZF2AH, KV4FZ, XE2S,
and ON4UN. No luck working them with my duct tape wire antenna despite many
calls. But at 0337 UTC KV4FZ VI popped up on a QSB peak and came back NÃ?? I
could tell Herb was hearing me!  After a number of back and forths he got the
call and KS section. Woo Hoo! Working him was the highlight of the contest.