[3830] ARRL 160 N6WG Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N6WG Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:26:14 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

Total:  QSOs = 186  Sections = 36  Countries = 1  Total Score = 13,716

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I enjoyed this contest, but couldn't take it too seriously.  There is a period
in the evening around sunset
when the band noises up and signals get what sounds like phase distortion.
Just can't copy much
at that time, so shut down and have dinner, watch TV, whatever.  Around 8 or 9
PM I get back on
for a few hours and search for new QSOs.

It got real hard to find new blood rather early in the contest this year.
After Friday midnight, I had
only three hours with a rate of 10 QSOs or better.  All the remaining hours
were in single digits.

My only non-US-mainland QSOs were VE, XE and KH6.  Never heard anything from
the
Carib'n, AK or JA.

I put up a rotary mini-Flag loop in hopes it might hear better than my tuned
loop.  No such
luck.  It played well, and at times was my best receive antenna, but there
didn't seem to be
anything new to hear.  This was a really domestic contest.

BC was the only VE province I worked. Heard a VE3 once, but that was it.   I
was able to reach the
east coast for EPA, GA, and NNJ.  Most QSOs were western states or in the
Midwest.

A fun time, but not terribly productive.  Hope to work some stations on 10m
this weekend.
Thanks for the Qs.

73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude