[3830] ARRL 10 VE6CNU SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VE6CNU SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:28:47 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE6CNU
Operator(s): VE6CNU
Station: VE6CNU

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   CW:  47      8
  SSB:  42      7
-------------------
Total:  89     15  Total Score = 4,080

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

The condx were infinitely better than last year as last year I didn't hear a
single signal. Not that things were good!  In order to describe conditions this
far north, it is necessary to describe two different kinds of "band openings".
The first is that condx are favorable for a band opening, and this appeared to
occur for about a 2 hour period in the morning (about 9AM to 11AM local time or
1600 to 1800 UTC).  Within this two hour window, the second kind of band opening
occurred - and these lasted anywhere from less than a second to about five
minutes.  Suddenly there would be signals and sometimes they would be loud.
Like a switch got turned on.  Then, just as quickly, they would be gone.  Quite
frequently the switch got turned off in the middle of the QSO.  So for those who
are attempting to work stations in the great white north, please understand that
you cannot afford to repeat your call or my call.  I must have lost a dozen QSOs
this way.  Most successful QSOs were less than 10 seconds.  The exception was
the one QSO with Mexico, which lasted about 30 seconds, until we both got the
exchange correct.  And this was my best (and only) DX contact!
Keep in mind that the calculated MUF never got abot 28 MHZ for this latitude,
and on top of this, most U.S. stations within range have their beams pointed
anywhere but at VE6.  So making any contacts was a challenge.

I'm hoping that next year will see some real propagation - not the Sporadic E
or whatever it is that we have to rely on right now.  But at temperatures
averaging -28C for the past few days (and with -40C windchills), there's not a
whole lot else to do.

Thanks and hope to see you next year.

Jerry
VE6CNU

Rig:  FT-1000MP and FL-7000 amp (about 500W)
Ant:  TH6-DXX at 40'
Software:  N1MM Logger