[3830] ARRL 10 AD1C SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 AD1C SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:56:51 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

   CW:   93    18
  SSB:   36    12
-------------------
Total:  129    30  Total Score = 13,320

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM 756 Pro III (100W)
Antenna:   half-G5RV in attic
Software:  DX4WIN 7.0x
Hardware:  microHAM microKEYER (CW)

I hadn't planned to operate at all (hence, used DX4WIN for logging instead of
WriteLog), but Sunday morning I got curious and headed to the shack about
1545z.  First I worked a few loud CO stations, then MN, WI, AB, and BC.  I
heard a couple of IL but could not make a contact.  I started calling CQ and a
big string of WA stations came back.  Tried to see what was happening on phone
(not as busy as CW), so went back to CW, then stations from CA and OR started
calling in.  Found a few in TN, AL and GA, then lots more CA stations (did I
say LOTS?).  Also worked several NV stations.  Came back to shack during New
England Patriots half-time and worked into TX, OK, AR, LA and NM.  I'd say at
least half of my log is CA stations.

Apologies to KI0J. I either called him or was CQing.  When I tried to send his
report, the transceiver shut down.  I had this problem last week working
PSK-31, I thought it was RF, so moved the power supply line away from the coax.
 In the process, I noticed the fuse holders were rather warm to the touch.  I
tried reseating the fuses, but a couple more cycles, and one of the fuses just
died (only when it got warm enough).  The SS-30 power supply says I'm drawing
20 amps, and the fuses are rated for 20 amps.  Hmmmmm.  I have to look into
this.  After I replaced the blown fuse, no more problems.  KI0J and I did
eventually connect about 10 minutes later.

It was fun, and I got to practice my VHF techniques of short CQs and short
calls.  Also picked up at least a dozen new counties on 10 meters.  I found it
easier to work station on 10m with my attic antenna that weren't 59(9)+.  I had
fairly good runs when CQing, so people were obviously hearing me OK.

73 - Jim AD1C