[3830] ARRL 10 K1TO SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K1TO SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:02:37 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 35

   CW: 1375    71
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1375    71  Total Score = 390,784

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Our Florida Contest Group 10M Test motto is "Be the Band".  Apparently that
worked, judging from the comments so far!

Very happy to have no noise problems and no storms.

Started ominously as the first 21 Qs were FL and the first non-FL was not until
0037Z.  Had just over 500 QSOs the first day and figured that even reaching last
year's total of 900 was futile.  Then came 3+ hours of good E-skip and more on
Sunday.  Peak 60-minute rate was just 99.  Finished with a flurry.  Was beaming
south, hoping for even one QSO from SA when K6NR called in from CA!  Quickly,
the beam spun around to the west and the last 10 mins was a blur of CA/AZ.  Had
worked just 2 CA up until then.  Never heard activity above about 28.055, but
the activity level was still very good.  Quite a few unfinished QSOs, thanks to
the often rapid QSB and weak signals.  Found the upper antenna and "spray" stack
to both be vastly inferior all weekend to the stalwart 6L at 50' (converted CB
beam).

Completely missed the Pacific NW (WA/OR/ID/MT/UT).  Did hear VY2SS CQing and
CO8TW S&P on Saturday and I heard PY0FF being worked on Sunday, but all other
mults heard were worked.  Lots of activity from normally rare ones like VT, RI,
DC and DE.  Only one QSO with CO and a handful from MN.  One lone EU - thanks to
F5IN for calling in.  No AF.  2 VKs and 2 ZLs near the end.  Neatest was a
001 from a TG9.

Have to laugh at the automatic doubled transmissions.  MAMA and PAPA are
popular states.  OHOH conjures up images.  ;<)  Since I missed the Northwest,
I'm crying - WAhWAh.

Fun to have Lefty, K1TOL venture down from 6M and call in for our first QSO
ever.

Sorry to read about, and see pictures of, the ice damage in northern W1.

Thanks for all the QSOs and Happy Holidays to everyone!

vy 73, Dan