[3830] TBDC W4ZV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] TBDC W4ZV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 04:32:15 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM95
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 643  Total Score = 3,423

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were spotty here...sometimes good to EU and then not.  I only worked
a few Ukrainian stations and RA4LW, so the paths were not very deep.  I never
heard anything from JA, the Pacific (other than KH6LC) or even KL7.  QSB was
very pronounced to EU which sometimes made it challenging to get the grids.
There were some bright spots when EU signals were very good and I even managed
to work Geoff G3XGC running QRP! That was probably the most exciting QSO of the
weekend for me.

I also felt USA activity was down and EU activity was up.  It could be the
thunderstorm cell over the central US kept many stations off the air.  I'd been
looking forward to using diversity with the K3 but my transmit array is not
nearly as directive as a Beverage and I had too much QRN to use anything but
Beverages.  I'm sure I missed some callers I might have gotten had I not been
forced to use only the Beverages.

I hope Santa brought some of the Click and Spur crowd a new K3!  Some well
known stations have signals that are worse than terrible.  It may be time to
start recording some of these so folks can hear how they actually sound.

It will be interesting to see how the QRP/LP/HP scores shake out with the new
rule change.  IMHO I feel the rules just keep getting better thanks to the
powers that be at the Boring ARC.

73 & Happy New Year to All!

Bill  W4ZV