[3830] CQWW CW CN2M(OH2MM) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CN2M(OH2MM) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:58:45 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CN2M
Operator(s): OH2MM
Station: CN2M

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: nr Casablanca
Operating Time (hrs): 37

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 3760    39      144
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This was a guest operation to Jim Sullivan's (W7EJ, CN2R) famous World-class
contest station located in the outskirts of Casablanca, Morocco. Jim himself
chose to operate 160 M Single band. Thus, the other bands remained for another
single-band effort. I chose to operate SOSB 20 meters.

RIG: Yaesu FT1000MP Mark V + ACOM 2000 amp.
ANT: Three monoband yagis for 20 m:
4-el at 15m fixed to EU,
5-el rotary at 26m,
4-el rotary at 27m.

With 3 independent yagis, it was comfortable to simultaneously cover the two
main QSO-sources, Europe and North America. Depending on the propagation, the
third yagi was pointed to Africa, Asia, South America, or Pacific, greatly
facilitating picking up multipliers, both from my own pileup and by
search-and-pounch.

In some respects, this was an exceptional operation:
1. Not a single vistit by Murphy on 20M (however, Murphy bothered Jim on 160M)
2. The QSO count was the same on the 1st and 2nd day, which is very unusual
(usually the 1st day is much busier). This may be due to better propagation on
the 2nd day. Or, alternatively, the operator, having been QRT for the whole
year, got slicker on Sunday.

A disappointment was the poor propagation with the band closing early in the
evening and opening late in the morning. In particular, access to remote areas,
such as JA and the long path was poor.

I am very thankful to my host Jim for this opportunity. It was kind of
"bring-your-toothbrush-only" operation. Just take your seat and go ahead.

I also want to express my gratitude to:
*Ali, CN8TW, for lending equipment and providing housing in his ranch.
*Mohamed, CN8KD, for help with the licence and a good call, and for very nice
company.
*Ibrahim ("braim") for his excellent household and assistance.

Please visit Jim's site http://cn2r.net for details of his dream station.

73 Ville OH2MM