[3830] RTTY Roundup K3MM(@N3HBX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3mm@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K3MM(@N3HBX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:30:30 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K3MM
Operator(s): K3MM
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  491
   40:  757
   20:  619
   15:  178
   10:
------------
Total: 2045  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 68  Total Score = 255,625

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First serious contest effort using N1MM/MMTTY and with Elecraft K3's.  After
about 6 hours finally got in a groove with MM.  Still make some gaffs now and
then, but it's getting better...  Stacking calls for tail end QSOs worked
fairly well once the operator was doing the right things! Having a good
database to work from on the fly (thanks K4GMH) and MMTTY doing a good job of
parsing them really helped pull them out of the mud.  A big advantage over my
old WF1B software... probably makes up for the loss of RITTY decoder on the old
hardware.

15 was even worse than expected.  Worked one F and one EA from EU.  That was
it.  Didnt bother looking at 10  since there are no band mults.  P49X was
smokin' on 15 tho....running EU all by himself on 15 at 1330Z on 21085 with a
BIG number! I went back to 20&40... ho hum.

Found multiple TX mod problems with the K3's using AFSK.  Hopefully they will
be fixed before WPX next month.  Basic receiver works nice, but they need to
work on cleaning up the DSP and TX audio or it'll end up with the same bad rap
(justified or otherwise) as the Orion.  I'd give up ALL those cute bells and
whistles for a rock-solid kick-ass contest radio... a cleaner MP.  I'm afraid
it ain't quite there yet.

Ciao!

Ty K3MM