[3830] RTTY Roundup K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:12:42 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 21

------------
   80:  331
   40:  267
   20:  320
   15:   57
   10:
------------
Total:  975  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 39  Total Score = 94,575

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is my first entry into the ARRL RTTY Roundup, and my third RTTY
contest, the first two being all out in the CQ WW RTTY and lightly
into the Makrothen RTTY contest.  My goal was to see what the contest
is all about and to work all 50 states.

The first 46 states fell in the first few hours.  Only AK, ND, NE, and
WY remained.  Then I worked AK and ND in fairly short order.  NE
called with about 3 hours to go, and WY called with 45 minutes to go.
Since the contest was near the end, I didn't pick a new goal, although
1000 QSOs or 100 multipliers would have been nice.

Modding the IC765 to make the 250 Hz filter work in RTTY was very
handy, although I had to figure out how much to offset the RIT to
compensate for the fact that the 250 Hz filter isn't squarely in the
center of the RTTY passband.  That took an hour or so.

I am amazed by the number of Spanish stations in this test.  Also,
being called by 6W2SC on 15 and 6W7RV on 20 were nice surprises.

A number of times the LETTERS character got lost between the signal
report and the state, so that the state showed up as punctuation
characters.  This happened all three times that I worked K0JJR.  So
now I know that "MN" is ".,".  Anybody have an explantion as to why
this particular error frequently occurs?  Would a useful convention be
to put an extra LETTERS character after the signal report?

No equipment was harmed during the making of this log: IC-765, ETO
91B, 4-BTV and other verticals, Beverages.