[3830] RTTY Roundup KD2MX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kd2mx@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup KD2MX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:04:48 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: KD2MX
Operator(s): KD2MX
Station: KD2MX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:   66
   40:   83
   20:   85
   15:   24
   10:    0
------------
Total:  258  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 12  Total Score = 16,254

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I hadn't planned on spending any time on this event.  I've had lousy luck with
RTTY and have struggled to make a handful of QSOs in past contests.  Could
never figure out what the problem was.

Well I had nothing much to do yesterday afternoon so I thought I'd install
MMTTY on the new computer and give it a try.  I got the N1MM interface going
and even found the setup instructions without having to search and search.

After getting the configuration set, I tuned in a signal and gave a call. To my
shock I got a reply and I was off and running (well S&Ping).  I was able to work
almost everything I heard, as I would expect.  I wasn't very adept at tuning and
kind of struggled along for a few hours but eventually got into the swing of
things.

I missed prime DX time as I was out for the first half of today but got pretty
close to WAS RTTY and made about 250 more QSOs than I would've expected.  Not
sure what secret I uncovered but I suspect the problem had something to do with
the soundcard in the old computer, despite it seemingly being within specs.

The new computer/soundcard combo worked great and now I can't wait until the
next RTTY event and to play around with digital modes in general.