[3830] RTTY Roundup WA6L Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup WA6L Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:20:22 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: WA6L
Operator(s): WA6L
Station: WA6L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SDG
Operating Time (hrs): 8

------------
   80:    0
   40:   26
   20:  194
   15:  117
   10:    0
------------
Total:  337  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 10  Total Score = 19,883

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was a fun one.  There was lots and lots of activity and decent propagation.
  20m was open all day, and 15m most of the afternoon.

I worked a total of 8 hours.  I quit on Saturday to watch the Chargers (Great
game!) and then worked a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon.  I did some S&P,
but I got some good runs going, especially on 15m.

This was my first digital contest with the K3 and it did amazingly well.  The
filters really worked their magic, and the Pass-Band Tuning option is
incredible.  Push the button and you can isolate any RTTY signal â?? period.
The Tx also did well â?? running with 100w caused the fans to come on
occasionally but there was no power or temperature issues.

As Bill, N6WS mentioned, there was nobody playing PSK31 during the contest.
That is too bad, as it would have been fun and good experience to get a few Qs
in that mode.  But the RTTY stations were occupying every bit of the spectrum
and I suspect that isnâ??t going to change during the major contests.

This contest also got me interested in that new ARRL â??triple playâ?? award.
It was a good head start, missing only DE, RI, WY, and ND in one afternoon.  Of
course, one of the modes is SSB, which means I will have to dig out my mic an
see how that all works.

Thanks to all for a great contest and 73!

John