[3830] NAQP CW W5JAW Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jaw@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W5JAW Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:01:48 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: W5JAW
Operator(s): W5JAW
Station: W5JAW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

  160:   19    14
   80:   42    25
   40:   38    22
   20:  105    36
   15:   13     7
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  218   105  Total Score = 22,890

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Pickers

Comments:

MkV Field
Carolina Windom @ 30 ft 80-10m
12 ft tee top for 160m

Due to other commitments, I could only put in limited time.  Got on for two 45
minute sessions early afternoon, 15 minutes near sunset, and then another 45
minutes in the last hour.  All S&P, my favorite mode, except for a 10 minute
run on 20m early on (just to see how the other half live).

The most fun was that magical 15 minute session on 40m at sunset.  It seemed
like the whole band was set up just for me.  CQers from all over were lined up
every 300-500 Hz.  One call each time snagged the prey, then a quick mini-turn
of the dial landed on the next one.  Bang, bang, bang up and down the band as
fast as the fingers could move.  The rate meter stayed on 180-200 most of that
time.  Only a couple of slow repeat requests lowered the average.  I had to QRT
to go out for the evening with the XYL, but there were no signs that I had
picked all the low hanging fruit.

When I got on before midnight, the lower bands sounded great.  Made on quick
sweep of 160, then spent the rest of the time on 80.  With everyone limited to
LP, my RFI limited 25 watts on 80m worked OK.

When, and if, sunspots ever return, I might make a more serious effort in this
fun contest.

73,
Jim, w5jaw