[3830] NAQP CW AK4K(W4LT) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4LT@ij.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AK4K(W4LT) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:40:51 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: AK4K
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

  160:    7     7
   80:   55    24
   40:  133    37
   20:  243    41
   15:    4     3
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  442   112  Total Score = 49,504

Club: Florida Contest Group

Team:

Comments:

FCG Team:  The Morse Marauders

Arrgh, Avast, Maties, AK4K is the Callsign of "Gaspar's Pirates Contest
Consortium", a joint venture of contest afficionados from St Petersburg Amateur
Radio Club and Tampa Amateur Radio Club.  Jose Gaspar is a West Central Florida
Pirate legend.  He and his Krew will take over Tampa in a few weeks, so Jose is
warming up with a little radiosport...

Gaspar did his Piratey best working this one around things at home.  Jose's
wench was not feeling too well, so he had to take care of her and work the
contest around her needs, such are the realities of life ashore.

Regardless, the callsign is fun to send on CW, but I got lots of fills for
"Section?" and "State?"  Good solid runs on 20 and 40 added to the fun.  Not a
peep out of 10, although spent a total of 30 minutes at three different times
calling CQ there, once during the time N4EEB said the band was open.  Never
opened this far south!

15 was loaded with the usual bevy of Californians.  No HI was heard, nor ND or
AK either.  Gave up on 15 fast.  40 and 80 were either extremely long or my new
low band antenna "is that much better" than my old one.  Many CA, WA, OR, NV,
UT, ID worked on both, way too early, to my amazement.  The lucky seven
additional multipliers for seven QSO's on 160, first use of that band in combat
from this QTH!  HK2Q and J39BS called me in succession on 40, both were really
loud.  Worked fellow Gaspar Buccaneer Tom W4CU for first FL Mult on 40 plus
many others friends that probably didnt know who I was  :)

Decided to work the whole thing on my new "secondary" radio and see how it
performs in contest conditions.  Glad that I at least had the foresight to
purchase an InRad 400Hz filter before attempting this!  The new to me
TS-570D(G)held its own in the piles and the QRM thanks to the filter, the built
in tuner was incredibly fast and wide, the DSP works quite well, but you cant
use Slope Tuning on CW, only IF shift!  Bummer!  And NR2 makes CW sound like
R2D2 is sending it.  I really like having automatic RIT cancel after logging a
QSO.  Not a bad rig for the money, but I did miss my TS-850's RX performance.
Needless to say I will be using the TS-850/Timewave DSP on Phone weekend  (!)

The wench feels much beter this morning...

Lu-W4LT