[3830] NAQP CW K4RO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4ro@k4ro.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K4RO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:43:12 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:  146    40
   80:  321    48
   40:  126    46
   20:  143    39
   15:  120    27
   10:   15     9
-------------------
Total:  871   209  Total Score = 182,039

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: TCG #1

Comments:

My main 40M antenna is broken. A half-dozen trips up the tower
have not been successful in fixing it. I put up some dipoles to
try to make up for it , but nothing works like the loaded boom
used to. My first 40M CA QSO was 0408z, which was really surprising.
These were my lowest 40M numbers for Jan NAQP CW in a long time.

I had frustrating software troubles throughout the contest. Even after
doing the NCCC test run, my computer keying failed at the start of the
contest. I missed the opening 14 minutes trying desperately to get the
keying working again. I may have to abandon Winkey and go back to
parallel port keying.

I could not log some S&P QSOs on the second radio without a lot of
trouble. Certain sections would not log at all, and some had to be
typed twice. I had same trouble in the RTTY RU contest, so I need
to figure out what's happening.

Ten and fifteen meters were dead at the start, but both bands opened
well at 2030z. There were strong openings to the east coast, but no
one was home. N2NT was 20/9 at one point on 10 meters. W1UE was quite
 loud as well. Lots of folks laughed when I asked them to move to ten
meters, but several moves worked.

Congrats to KL9A and N5KO for some super scores. The west coast seems
to rule the January edition, while the south east does better in the
August running. Congrats to K0DXC on a great job breaking 100k for the
first time. Great to hear my old friend Walt K3DQB in the contest.

Excellent turn out from the TCG once again - 5 full teams of operators
hit the bands from TN. It looks like SMC had a boat load of teams on for
the party also. Congrats to N4ZZ on the top TN score. It looks like
QSOs trumped mults, once again.

73

-Kirk  K4RO