[3830] NAQP SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KB9OWD Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:25:58 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   38    22
   80:  138    46
   40:  182    35
   20:  139    22
   15:    2     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  500   128  Total Score = 64,000

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Team:

Comments:

That was fun!  More so in the first 6 hours, but overall had a great time!

10 was as expected however 15 was much worse than last week.  Only 2 QSO's were
with 1 WI local on a move there and W6YI who was S9 however never heard another
signal on the band even though I did check many times.

20 here was better than last week with better numbers as far as QSO count.
Overall, the band seemed in much better shape and was happy to even have
several HI and AK enter the log answering my calls.

My one move from 20 was a local about 15 miles down the road who I had never
worked before.  Moved him to 15 then to 10 for the WI mults there.

40 was in good shape during the mid to late afternoon with great rates at
times.  When I had worked out 40 a bit, I went down to 80 right about 2300 UTC
and had an instant pile.  Most of the QSO's on 80 were in about an hour and 15
minute stretch.

I wish 80 had stayed the way it was.  It went long and things got tough from
here.  160 was a struggle however any qso's there are a bonus with a very
minimal antenna here.  Although it was a struggle and very noisy from here
tonight, it was fun to go up and try and chase some of the loud ones for new
mults!

My one major error came in off time.  I had planned to take my first hour off
about 2300 - 0000 UTC.  However, at 2300 rates were good and I kept going.  At
0000 UTC, I had what in hind sight was my best rates of the contest going with
the rate meter over 100.  In the back of my mind, I knew I needed to spend an
hour of off time.  So, I took my first hour, which turned into an hour and 20
off at 0000 UTC.

This was prove to be a costly error on my part which likely caused several
QSO's to miss the log and hurt the score.  When I came back at 0120 UTC, the
rate I had left an hour before was gone and it was a struggle the rest of the
way.  I worked 2 CA stations on 40 and that was about all I could hear on the
band.  I never heard a signal on 40 after about 0200 despite checking several
times.  I should have waited an extra hour and taken that hour at 0100 for the
hour off, but you don't know at the time what the next hour will bring and it
cost me here.  Took the final 40 minutes off to comply with the required off
time.

Worked 49 of the 50 states, missing RI.  Never heard one calling CQ.  I did
hear a few calling stations and tried to adjust a CQ in the area however no
such luck.  VE worked included ON, NS, MB, AB, BC and PEI.

Good rates prevented me from doing many moves of stations.  Of those I did try,
only one did not work.  The WI station I mentioned earlier gave me mults on 3
bands.  Moved WA0JRD from my run on 40 to 80 which worked fine.  The only one
that didn't work well was WG7Y from 80 to 40 for a mult.  The band condition at
that time didn't help and when I picked the freq. it was clear and in the 2 min
it took us to transition there, I had a 20 over 9 tuner on the channel and
missed him, however thanks for the effort and attempt!

Overall I had a great time with great rates to keep it interesting.  Thanks for
all the QSO's and see you in the next one!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD