[3830] NAQP SSB WT6K(@WU6A) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wt6k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB WT6K(@WU6A) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:38:12 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: WT6K
Operator(s): WT6K
Station: WU6A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10.0

  160:   19     5
   80:   77    21
   40:   82    19
   20:  274    44
   15:    2     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  454    90  Total Score = 40,860

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 2

Comments:

This was like two different contests. Running the majority of the time on 20M
and 40M, then primarily S&P on 80M and 160M with antennas that were marginal on
the bands. From having lots of fun to an experience I'd equate to a tooth
extraction.

Exceeded my goal of 400 QSO's and I feel great about that. The other half of
the story is that I worked only 90 mults compared to 122 on January 10th in the
NAQP CW contest.

Having a day to think about it, there are two changes I'd make. First, I'd keep
a better eye on 15M for openings. If I had got 15 mults on this band as I did in
the CW leg, it would of made up half the difference in mults between the
weekends. Second, I'd not take my major 1-1/2 hour break until 40M had closed
on me in regards to running stations. This may have provided 15 more mults. A
total of 30 more mults would have put me at the 120-mult count and raised my
score to 54,480. This would have met my projected score goal.

All this of course assumes I'd projected that 40M was going to close early for
me and that 80M was not going to be as productive for me as it was on the NAQP
CW weekend.

I like the format of the NAQP. I can manage 10 hours of operation and not go
'brain dead' three-quarters of the way into the contest. As for the 100-watt
maximum allowable power, I'm not convinced that it levels the playing field as
much as limiting the antennas would. I'm not suggesting doing this. This
opinion reflects my regrets at not having better antennas amd the realization
of how important they are. So, I'd be happy to promise never to run more than
100 watts if I had the antenna farm I saw when I visited Radio Oakley in my
back yard!

73,
Al
wt6k