[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KA3ZLS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, peightalhead@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KA3ZLS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:56:00 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  363    81  Total Score = 40,986

Club:

Comments:

This contest was fun as always.  This was the first contest operating with the
new antenna setup.  Band conditions did stink mainly on six meters but I scored
my all time best by about 5,000 points from my previous score. I had the usual
high noise level on both 2 and 6 meters which I am sure cost me several Q's.  I
believe most of my contacts came from the north and northeast of me especially
on two.  I did hear for a second or two what I thought was a VE out of FN15 but
could not pull them out the noise.  I wasn't hearing to much to south or west
which was strange.  I think I went to bed about 4:30am after completing my one
and only FSK441 contact with K5QE on six.  I woke up at 7am and jumped on six
and probly just missed an Es opening to the south because I was hearing a
station with heavy QSB out of EM90.  I never did try to call him.  I did better
than expected on two meters.  I was hearing better than in the past which I
contribute to the new stacked antennas that are up on the new tower.  Six
meters started out slow for me but I made up some ground on Sunday.
Disappointed that I didn't catch any Es that I have been reading about.  Well
there is always June.  Murphy did pay me a visit by taking out my 432 amp which
left me with only 20 watts on that band.  I could of hooked up my little 100
watt mirage amp but never did.  I worked just about everyone I heard on 432.
My Q count on 6,222 and 432 was down but my Q and grid totals on 1296 was the
highest it has ever been which was nice.  Managed to work K1TEO on 1296 with no
problem on SSB with only 10 watts.  By June I will have my 1296 back up and
running. Also by June I will have 903 and 2304 up and running. Best DX...FM27
to the southeast, FM05 to the south, FM09 to the west, FN01 to the northwest,
and FN23 & FN43 to the north and northeast.    Well it was good to hear and
work everyone and again thanks to all the rovers for getting out there and
braving the cold and giving out the points and multis.  Catch everyone in
June.

                           73, Chris, KA3ZLS