[3830] CQ160 CW ED5T(@EA5ELT) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW ED5T(@EA5ELT) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:10:44 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: ED5T
Operator(s): EA5GIE, EA5GS, EA5KV, EA5DF, EC5KXA
Station: EA5ELT

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Torrent
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 305  State/Prov = 22  Countries = 51  Total Score = 125,852

Club:

Comments:

Our original idea was to do the phone leg of this contest, however Ricardo EA5JK
asked us if he could operate phone since his plans had fallen through, and we
agreed. Since the idea for operating phone was for us to try new antennas, we
decided that we could do that just as well operating in the CW leg instead.

We also decided that day to apply for a 2 x 1 call instead of using Victorâ??s
personal call, ED5T was granted and we cross our fingers for continuity (2 x 1
calls are only available for certain contests, on 6 monthly basis, and cannot
be requested successively).

This was two weeks ago, a bit short notice for any serious antenna plans. Like
many Europeans, we at TCC are not immune to space problems when it comes to
putting up low band antennas, and even at our relatively clear hilltop
location, we are restricted. We have two towers, so any tower mounted antennas
are fine, but finding a place to install temporary antennas is tricky, having
an eco-protected forest on one side and a car park on the other.

Step to the fore our newest recruit, Toni (EA5DF), who had one of Ricardoâ??s
top band verticals at his house, in need of a bit of TLC. After a bit of
careful consideration, we decided we could temporarily mount this in a corner
without too much of a problem. Two of the centre aluminium tubes were replaced,
some new linear loading 2mm steel cable installed, and off we went. A removable
mount was made so we could just lift it and go when finished (yeah right, made
of concrete, took three of us to lift it).

For RX, Toni brought a 100m long beverage, which was strung up in the pines on
Friday, directed towards the states. Also, after dark, we mounted the K9AY
loops on a spiderpole, on the other side of the clubhouse. Thanks again to Toni
for the illumination, the installation would have been a lot more difficult in
the dark.

None of us have top band installations at home and are pretty much novices.
However even to us it was obvious that the band was in pretty good shape and we
were well pleased with the end result. We managed our objective, which was to
try out the new antennas, and reached a number of conclusions which we hope
will help us in future contests:

-       We like the vertical because it lets us have a good performer which is
easy
to install and take down, half an hour is all it takes.
-       We especially like the vertical since it hears well. We found very few
instances where the beverage was better, and none where the K9AY was better.
This will significantly reduce our setup times if we do not have to use an RX
antenna.
-       Our big problem was being heard (let me know if we were not hearing
you!).
After a bit of off time reading the ON4UN book, it seems we should improve our
radial system. We will try for four quarter wave radials elevated at 6m high
next time and see how it goes.
-       We have decided we will use dedicated PCs with N1MM and nothing else
installed in order to avoid unexpected last minute IT problems. Yes, Murphy
came to see us!

The only negative point about the weekend was the extremely high wind, gusting
well over 100kmh. Fortunately the only casualty was our 40m dipole which lost
one of its tips.

Thanks to all who made it possible and CU in ARRL phone, hopefully with our new
Optibeam installed.

73 de Torrent Contest Club team