[3830] CQ160 CW VE7FO Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE7FO Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:42:34 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

Total:  QSOs = 72  State/Prov = 32  Countries = 2  Total Score = 11,900

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Don't usually enter this as antenna is inv L 30 ft high with radials
buried in a 12 x 30 ft lawn with the vertical at one corner. However,
I thought I'd try out the getscores real time reporting system just
for fun, so I got on at midnight on Sat.   It was kind of fun to see
my score showing up but, as I wasn't competitive with anyone, it
didn't feel like any kind of race.  I did, however, notice that VA7ST
hadn't made a Q for several hours so I sent him a harassing e-mail
telling him to get his butt back in the chair.  That was fun.

I entered the HP category, even though running a barefoot MkV at 200W,
because I didn't see any point running only 100W and having fewer
people hear me.  It was often a struggle as it was.  There are some
VERY patient folks out there

I was only going to try it for a few minutes but, well, it's a contest
and CW to boot so I hung in until about 0230.

I was surprised by the number of people who could actually hear me.
Up 'til now, my best DX on 160 to the west was K7C and to the east was
the west coast of the Mississippi!  I worked 29 states including MA,
NJ, NY, all the 3's except DC, all the 4's and a bunch of others.

I actually heard an Eu station, to my great surprise.  Very weak and
didn't bother calling him.  Heard a couple of UA0's S&Ping.  They were
strong enough I think I could have worked them but never heard one
cqing.

After a while I got tired of people not hearing me when I called so
found a spot at 1806 and started "running", thinking that there's no
point wasting time calling folks who mostly don't hear me.  This way,
the folks who can will hopefully find me.  They did - helped a lot by
a spot from AL9A (hope I got that right).  Actually made 19 of my Qs
that way with an average rate of about 30.  I was pretty happy about
that.

Once again, thanks for your patience everybody.