[3830] CQ160 CW S55M(@S58W) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW S55M(@S58W) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:17:45 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: S55M
Operator(s): S55M
Station: S58W

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: JN65XM
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1141  State/Prov = 35  Countries = 73  Total Score = 696,276

Club: Belokranjec contest club

Comments:

Eq:
Ant: Bent leg slooper, single 240m BEV to NA  (only 1st night,later "gone with
the wind")
FT1000MP+GS31 amplifier

Well, once again mr. Murphy did his job exellent.

It started on tuesday, when we tried to mount the antenna on the hilltop
location of our RC. The contest from there are always semi-field day type. We
have to mount the antenae b4 the test and dismount everything after it.
Not because of some stupid rule, but because of extreme winds and weather
there. Slavnik (tha name of the hill) is the latest barrier between the hot
mediteran sea area and cold internal continent so extreme winds from the south
or north east are common there.
So on tuesday, the wind from the south was so strong, that was difficult to
close the doors of our little house on the top. Climbing the 45m tower was
simply impossible. So we decided to postpone the work until thursday, when i
finaly attached the upper leg of the dipole to the top of the broadcast tower.
The other leg was attached on friday morning. So far, so good but on friday
evening the weather went from bad to horrible. I drived up on the location
during the snow storm with moderate wind and when i went in shack i heard some
familiar noise comming from the antenna connector. Sparks up to 1 inch of
lenght from the connector to grounding nut were visible for more than one hour.
So, at the beginning of contest i listend almost everything on that NA BEV.
I was happy with the score on sathurday morning with more than 500 qso in my
log. 27 S/P and 56 DXCC were also promissing.The sigs from NA were really
booming. I spoke on the phone with Ted (S51TA) and i told him that we r
"srewed" if the northeastern wind will build up. I wish i didn't mention that.

With the wind during the evening i lost my NA BEV, wich was pulled out from the
isolators and burried under the snow. And Ted (as You probably read) lost one of
his verticals. Digging small signals without RX antenna during this contest is
always "mission impossible" and i did, what i could with that remaining wire,
wich i also used for TX.
And of course, my AMP suddenly refused to work on sathurday evening, withot
bangs, sparks and blown fuses. Just wont go on TX. Fortunatly, i had the spare
one (Thanks Agar-S56RGA) and i didn't lost much.
With another BEV for east and without the wind and the snow problems, the 1Mio
pts would be reachable for me with this simple and modest setup.

The biggest frustration was calling W0SD, wich was S9 on my S-meter, and
hearing him calling in my face for more than 20 minutes (25.jan 08:25 UTC).
The "worst RX" diploma goes to K8CC (called him a lot on 25.jan04:52 UTC
without reply).

In log:

DL 197
UA 130
W  101 (VE 13)
UR  95
OK  85

And amazing number of 46 S5 stations. Not bad for country of 7827 sq mi and
population of 2.000.000 people. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenija)

Just to mention:
We lost one off-road car on friday afternoon (by our mistake with filling in
wrong fuel on the same gas station, where we are refueling for years, but they
changed the setup this week :(( ) and one on sunday during our home return (the
car catched fire due to the boiling oil in transmission).
Special thanks to Agar S56RGA and Rudi S58RU for all the help and support.
Without You, this wouldn't be possible.

Congratulations to E7DX,S51TA and 4O3A teams.
Impressive score also from Nodir EY8MM wich is far away from zones of top
activity and he called in on my cq.

At the end just one wish:

Rare DXCC operators please work split mode.
It's very easy to control the crowd (you can call it EU zoo if you want) that
way.