[3830] CQ160 CW W3TS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, damichael@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W3TS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:42:44 -0800 (PST)
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W3TS
Operator(s): W3TS
Station: W3TS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PA    FN10nl
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1202  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 58  Total Score = 508,415

Club:

Comments:

Murphy moved in 1 block down the street 3 weeks before the contest with a 10
over S9 power line noise. I tracked the noise to a pole that the power company
had worked on last summer. At that time they replaced the bell insulator and
the lightening arrestor. I found out after the contest that they came by the
Thursday before the contest to work on the noise and saw it was the pole they
fixed last siummer. They didn't do anything. On Monday after the contest they
call the power co. noise engineer and told him they had worked on the pole last
summer. The noise eng. said he would meet them some time to check out the
problem. Well yesterday they all got together and found that the new Lightening
arrestor was bad and replaced it again. Now my noise is gone and so are the
great contest conditions.

TX Ant: 1/8 wave wire Tee - with 70 x 70foot long radials (My 60 foot high
80/40M fan dipole with the feeder shorted).

RX Ant: I used my TX TEE antenna for all contacts. I ran a noise nuller with
one input from the TX TEE and the other input was a coax to the power pole
ground wire near my house. I used this because it had a very high noise level
with very little signal pickup. I also have 2 x 300 foot long NE/SW and SE/NW
reversable short beverages. (The best I can do with the neighbors help on an
"in town" 150 x 200 foot lot). Which I could not use due to the very high local
line noise.

Rig: Ten-Tec Orion plus 2 x 3-500Z at 1300 watts output

Logger: N1MM