[3830] CQ160 CW K8CC Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8cc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K8CC Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:24:07 -0800 (PST)
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC,W8MJ
Station: K8CC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1627  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 71  Total Score = 715,000

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Rig(s): FT-1000D, FT-1000MP
Amp: AL-1200
TX Ant: 140' Shunt-fed Tower
Rx Ant: K9AY Loops NW/SE & NE/SW

As others have already noted, a spectacular contest condx-wise.  The result
being the best score we've ever made in this contest.

W8MJ and I made a somewhat last-minute decision to operate.  Severe winter wx
in Mich for the week prior to the contest prevented any opportunity to erect
additional receiving antennas.

The excellent propogation was mitigated for us by constant atmospheric noise
which was S3-S5 (even with 500 Hz rcve bandswidth) all weekend and in all
directions.  Our apologies to the European stations which called us but which
we could not pull through the noise.  With this noise, it is phenomenal that we
were able to work 214 European stations.

After the European path closed on Friday night, the pileup on every multiplier
spotted on packet turned into a feeding frenzy.  The same thing happened
Saturday night on every new station.

Product recommendations from the contest:

K9AY RX Loop - This is a wonderful receive antenna, considering it's small size
and simplicity.  While it's not as good as a 500' beverage, it made the
difference between making the contact or not for a number of QSOs.

Ameritron AL-1200 Amplifier - 1600+ QSOs and 4000+ CQs this weekend, and this
amp never got overly warm or made any fuss at 1500W.  Never complained as we
QSY'd all over the band making QSOs.

Three hours after the contest was over, confirmations for all 50 states from
the contest had appeared in LoTW.  Ain't LoTW wunnerful?

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73,

Dave/K8CC
Ken/W8MJ