[3830] NMQP K7IA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ia@starband.net
Subject: [3830] NMQP K7IA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:55:38 -0800 (PST)
                    New Mexico QSO Party

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Grant, Luna, Sierra
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:   325     0
   40:   315     0
   20:   414   162
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  1054   162  Mults = 59  Total Score = 237,180

Club:

Comments:

Band     CW      RTTY       SSB
20       94       44         54
40       97        8          0
80       65        0          0
Total   256       52         54  (multiply all by three for three counties)

Mults
NM Counties  4
Cdn Prov     2  (where was VE3??)
US States   44
DX           9   (incl KL7)

Time 14 hrs.

I operated as single operator, low power portable at the junction point of
three NM counties:  Grant, Luna, and Sierra.  It was a nice spot, with good
take-offs in all directions.  No trees--all grassland.  There was a 20-35 knot
wind continuously, with nothing to stop it except the pickup truck and the
slide in camper.

Antenna was a wire wound around a 32 foot telescoping fiberglass mast attached
to camper ladder, fed by SGC 230 Smartuner, over four 40' radials along the
ground.
Rig:  K3 @ 70 watts SSB and CW and 50 watts RTTY.  Low oil level in the 1 KW
generator produced flaky output voltages (crashing the K3), until the generator
quit altogether.  Did I pack extra oil?  Nope!  Too used to Field Day as a
non-generator, solar powered QRP setup!  A trip to the host rancher netted a
half quart of oil that solved the generator problem (and consumed a fair amount
of op time!).

Despite the remote location, there was a steady S3 noise level due to wind(?)
or overland high tension power lines about a mile away(?).

Principally a CW operator, I should have spent more time on phone, because
that's where the action was, according to my frequent eavesdropping on New
Mexico's QSO magnet, N2IC.  Fortunately, I set up the K3, microKeyer, and N1MM
for all three modes, and the XE International RTTY contest became productive.
Additionally, the NA Sprint provided some CW action on Saturday night.

My CW/RTTY exchange was "GRA LUN SIE," and I dearly wanted my NA Sprint name to
be "Gralunsie" as well.  However, I settled on "Luna" as my Sprint name,
avoiding the inevitable slowdown of Sprint if I were to use "Gralunsie" as a
"name."  Most Sprinters accepted "Luna" without question, but a few asked for
repeats, no doubt concluding it was shortened from "Luna-tic!"  Many thanks to
those who logged it immediately, and my apologies to those whose time was
consumed by the repeats!

I doubt if there are any tri-county points in New Mexico that are easy to get
to, other than on foot or by horseback, and this one was no exception.  My host
was an old, old NM rancher (WW2 Vet) who enjoyed the visit and the goodies from
wife Erin's oven.

Although the tri-county site appeared to be a good one, I was not able to hear
at least half of the stations N2IC was working on 20 meter phone.  On the other
hand all of the North American RTTY stations responded to my calls.  Best DX was
CN-land, but I could not work any of the numerous EA's.  In any mode, where were
the VE3's??

It was an interesting outing, but my preference continues to be solar-powered
QRP Field Day with wire antennas in the tall treetops!  Thanks to the many who
made the effort to pull my signals through!