[3830] RTTY WPX N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:33:39 -0800 (PST)
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark CA
Operating Time (hrs): 29

   80:   45  110
   40:  106  274
   20:  108  183
   15:   12   20
   10:    0    0
-----------------
Total:  271  587  Prefixes = 132  Total Score = 77,484

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

SOAPBOX: This was my second RTTY contest, and I enjoyed myself working this
SOAPBOX: new (to me) mode.  For a QRPer, I'd say it falls between CW and SSB
SOAPBOX: in terms of difficulty in making QSOs.  There were RTTY QSOs I made
SOAPBOX: that would not have happened on SSB, and there were RTTY QSOs that
SOAPBOX: I was unable to make that I would have made on CW.  So it adds
SOAPBOX: another dimension to contesting for QRPers.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: I'm still learning the N1MM Logger program.  I had problems for a
SOAPBOX: while that I assumed were due to not having it correctly set up.
SOAPBOX: I finally became suspicious of my keyboard, and it turned out to
SOAPBOX: have a bad case of contact bounce.  So I dragged another keyboard
SOAPBOX: over to the operating position and things improved.  Probably lost
SOAPBOX: about 15-20 QSOs while tinkering with the problem.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: I've heard that there is a lot of DX that only shows up on RTTY.  I
SOAPBOX: was hoping to work something new, but nothing heard.  Just the usual
SOAPBOX: suspects.  But I'll keep trying.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: There were a couple of hours where I thought someone might have
SOAPBOX: called a recess and I didn't get the word.  My rate was even lower
SOAPBOX: than one would expect for a QRP station, given the other hours I had
SOAPBOX: been operating.  Maybe everyone decided to take their hour breaks at
SOAPBOX: about the same time.  I'll remember that when planning mine for next
SOAPBOX: year :-)
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: When the contest was over, I discovered that only one side of my
SOAPBOX: 450-ohm window line feed was connected for my 20m antenna.  My ATU
SOAPBOX: matched it just fine, so I didn't realize there was a problem.  And
SOAPBOX: yet I managed 108 QSOs through that connection.  I wonder if I could
SOAPBOX: have worked 216 if both leads had been connected :-)
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: Very heavy rain during the weekend.  Could really hear it out in my
SOAPBOX: garage shack.  Had to rematch my antennas a couple of times, as
SOAPBOX: window-line impedance changes when really wet and laying on a
SOAPBOX: wet roof.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: Thanks to all for digging me out.  I'll try to do better next time.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: 73 and thanks for the Qs.
SOAPBOX: Bob N6WG
SOAPBOX: The Little Station with Attitude