[3830] ARRLDX CW AC0DS SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craig@powersmith.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AC0DS SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:18:37 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AC0DS
Operator(s): AC0DS
Station: AC0DS

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CO - Longmont
Operating Time (hrs): 17

  160:
   80:   59    32
   40:  105    47
   20:  117    51
   15:    3     2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  284   132  Total Score = 112,464

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

A part-time casual effort here.  My goals were to try and snag some new
countries and to evaluate my new radial field (32) and the temporary stealth 43
ft vertical, both by itself and with an inverted L section on the top for 80
meters.  I've never had any kind of DX capability on 80 here, so wanted to try
and improve that situation.  Unfortunately, didn't have the mini stealth K9AY
RX antenna I'm working on ready in time for this one.

Operated as assisted but with a single K3 at 100 W.  All S&P.  So will get
creamed in my class, but I did have fun!!

Overall was very pleased with the weekend.  Only had 15 countries on 80 up
until now and worked 32 this weekend - a definite upward trend!   Operated one
night with an inverted L configuration tuned near 80 and the other night with
just the 43 ft vertical section.  Both configurations used a remote tuner at
the base.  Interestingly, didn't see much difference in performance on 80
between the two.  Worked lots of JAs, VKs, ZLs, Korea, Europe etc. last night
on 80 with just the 43 ft vertical.  So may keep it simple in the future and
just use the vertical section on 20 thru 80.   It worked just fine on 40 and 20
also.

Ended up with 7 new countries overall and many more per band firsts.  Was quite
pleasant to just operate as much as I wanted and when I wanted rather than
focusing on the total score.  Ended up with about 17 hours total.

73
        ... Craig  AC0DS