[3830] ARRLDX CW DL3YM SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW DL3YM SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 03:29:36 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DL3YM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Karlsruhe
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

  160:   11     8
   80:   55    19
   40:  132    29
   20:  203    41
   15:   25    13
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  426   110  Total Score = 140,250

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

With the whole family recovering from a bad flu any serious attempt was ruled
out this year.
Used an 80 m inverted L with 160m zig zag extension to the horizontal leg on
160, 80, 20 and 15 plus a wire vertical on 40 running low power from my
downtown home QTH. If I am in your log you can hear well, hi.
Remarkable opening on 160 on Sunday morning: starting exactly 10 minutes before
the sun came up, a number of really big sigs emerged from the noise. Almost
fell out of the chair when I worked 8 mults in the next 20 minutes with most
coming back on the first call.
80 was pretty good, too, yet hard to work further west. Many thanks to the 80m
OP @ NR5M for his persistence and for pulling me out of the mud.
40 and 20 produced amazing signal levels and were open much longer than
expected.
15 yielded an intense opening on Sunday afternoon with signals going from S9 to
zero and back again within minutes. Hard to get through with no gain antennas
when the EU competition was hungry for mults â?¦
Bottom line: you can have a lot of fun even with a very modest setup â??
setting your goals right is the key!