[3830] ARRLDX CW K5ZD(W1UE) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ue@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K5ZD(W1UE) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 06:40:54 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: K5ZD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:  116    56
   80:  428    70
   40: 1165    95
   20: 1574   102
   15:  155    53
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 3439   377  Total Score = 3,866,889

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

WOW, what a ride!

This was my first SOAB effort in this contest in many years, and to be able to
drive a Cadillac of a station such as K5ZD was a real treat!

20 and 40M were simply bottomless pits- they were as full of signals as 10M was
bereft of them.  Only the plaintive CQs from K1TTT, K1XM, and K1RX (other than
the CW5 station that I really did work) kept 10M from being entirely empty of
signals.  15M was a tease- I did some 2nd radio there on Saturday (when the 20M
rate dropped below 100 briefly), but missed out on the best propagation times on
Saturday.  On Sunday, with only 25 mults on 15M from Saturday, I forced myself
to call CQ on 15M for a hour or so and picked up another 25 quick European
mults.  The rate was poor, but the mults were needed, and using the 2nd Radio
on 15M wasn't producing the mults.  20M was non-stop; I could have added a
bunch more QSOs there if 15 and 40 didn't get in the way.  I jumped on 40M at
2000Z each day, and ran Europeans for the next 5-6 hours there.  Looking back
on the bands, I didn't spend enough time on 80M and the mults there suffered; I
chose to stay on 40M, with the better rate, and wound up missing common European
mults on 80M.  160M was in great shape; I actually dedicated about 45 minutes
there at European sunrise Sunday morning, digging weak Europeans out of the
noise.

Many thanks to Randy K5ZD for the use of his great station.  I thoroughly
enjoyed my experience.  And thanks to everyone for the Qs!

Dennis W1UE