[3830] ARRLDX CW VP2VVA(K6VVA) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP2VVA(K6VVA) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:39:28 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP2VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: VP2VQ

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: VP2V
Operating Time (hrs): 24 ?

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 2172    60
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 2172    60  Total Score = 387,900

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  TS-480SAT, AL-811H @ 400w (or less), A3 Tribander @ 30 feet, low
G5RV on 80m & R-8 Vertical on 40m.  Dell D600 Notebook with TR4W (TR for
windows).  For checklog purposes, I'll be submitting another 300 Q's made on
40m & 80m for the VP2V Mult Q's I handed out briefly on those bands when 20m
was in the dumps. A special TNX to Dmitriy, UA4WLI, for some quick tweaks to
TR4W for me.

My spectacular hosts here on Tortola have been George, VP2VQ, his lovely wife
Gilda, and their two very awesome children: Tiffany Nicole and Joseph.  When
not on the air, I enjoyed sharing a lot of fun times and laughter with this
special family.

My primary written goal for this Contest-Pedition was at least 2,100 Q's and 60
Mults in a 20m Single Band entry venue.  Subject to log checking, hopefully the
net result will still prevail.   Much of the time on-air was a slowwwwwww grind
process and of course having to endure all those unanswered CQ's.  Thankfully,
the incredible view looking out the window over the beach and Caribbean helped
mitigate those boring moments.

I have always envied those snappy short 1x1 contesting calls like D4B, etc.  As
cool as I thought it would be to use VP2VVA for my 65th Birthday
Contest-Pedition trip, with 5,336 F1 key CQ's sent on 20m (and probably another
1,500 or more in an F2 derivation), I'm about V'd out for a while.  I keep
wondering how many more Q's could have been made with all the extra time
savings of a 1x1 call {SIGH}.

Aside from some typical frequency fights, I was extremely disappointed in some
of our fellow hams who typically decide not to respect the sanctity of contest
event itself.  The same thing happened when I also operated in the ARRL CW DX
Contest from St. Croix/KP2 land  5 years ago.  I'm referring to the numerous
times when I was trying to dig out what I thought was a weak W/VE station (and
possible needed Multiplier), only to find it was another gene pool mutant with
a callsign prefix belonging to one of several countries in Europe, South
America or Asia.

In a few months, George, VP2VQ, will have some exciting news about future
Contest-Pedition and DX-Pedition opportunities here on Tortola. If you'd like
to be kept in the loop, send George an email ( vp2vq@surfbvi.com ) and also put
TORTOLA in the Subject line.

I plan to post some audio clips made during the contest and a few photos when I
return home.  If interested, check:  http://www.k6vva.com/iota/na023 in a week
or so.  All VP2VVA QSLs and pre/post contest VP2V/K6VVA QSLs must go to
directly to Fred, N6AWD.

73 & Tnx for all the Q's & Mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust
(VP2VVA & VP2V/K6VVA)