[3830] ARRLDX CW 7J1AAI(W1NN) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 7J1AAI(W1NN) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:53:51 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 7J1AAI
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: JH1GTV

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Tokyo Koganei City
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:  712    50
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  712    50  Total Score = 106,800

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Once again, many thanks to JH1GTV for allowing me to invade his station and put
his equipment through the paces.  He is a gracious and generous host, keeping
me well supplied with hot coffee, snacks and usually at least one sushi meal
during each contest!

40 SOSB from Japan is pretty tough in this contest, especially compared with
operating from Europe.  We drool as we look over the scores submitted by the
Europeans.  It's a kind of manic-depressive experience, with many extremely
slow hours peppered with a few fairly decent hours (which seem really hot after
all those painful slow hours).  My worst hour this year was 9 contacts, with a
total of 7 hours under 20.  The highlight this year was two back to back 60+
hours (the 1200 and 1300 hours on day two).

My claimed score this year is considerably better than 2008's, partly because I
put in about 6 more hours in the chair but also because of what seemed to be
better conditions on day two this year.  I usually only work about two or three
8th call area stations in this event but this year I logged 16 or 17.  I also
worked quite a few more IN/IL/WI stations than usual.

I picked up 8 more mults than last year, so I can't complain.  I missed VT, ME,
DC and all VE's except for VE7, VE6, VE5 and VE3.  I got up around 2000Z on day
two in hopes of picking up some of my missing mults via long path, but in about
two hours of listening, I only heard VY2SS, WA3C in OH and WJ9B in FL, all very
weak.  I had already worked WA3C and WJ9B, but VY2SS was a new mult and I
called him again and again but he just couldn't pull me through.  I did not
hear a single other JA on the band during this time so perhaps they knew it was
a waste of time to even try.

Thanks for all the contacts.  My next contest will likely be a mobile operation
in the Michigan QSO Party in April.

73, Hal 7J1AAI (W1NN)