[3830] ARRLDX CW YN2DD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hank.k8dd@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW YN2DD M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:58:18 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: YN2DD
Operator(s): AC8W K8DD N8LJ
Station: YN2DD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Granada, Nicaragua
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  355    54
   80:  719    57
   40: 1178    59
   20: 1441    57
   15:  725    54
   10:  215    31
-------------------
Total: 4624   312  Total Score = 4,325,480

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

We thought the conditions at the start were pretty good on 160 & 80M.
Saturday afternoon there was nothing heard on 10M, 15M was ok, 20 - 160M were
very good.
Sunday was very good and in the afternoon the 10M opening was very welcome!
About 1900Z Sunday afternoon Stan (AC8W) was on 10M running.  Lee (N8LJ) and I
(K8DD) were looking at the networked laptop.  The power supply for the Drake L4
went   POP .......... POP ........ POP .............. Ka-POW.   Stan jumped and
turned the amp off, I grabbed the power plug and jerked it out of the wall.
Stan never missed a beat, he went back running with 100 watts like nothing
happened.  Octavio, YN2N, our host, pulled the power supply and we found a bad
filter capacitor and a bad K2AW diode.  Replaced the cap and put the original
diode stack in the power supply, put it back on-line and Stan kept running.
Then 20 minutes AFTER the contest was over we were eating nacatamal's (like
tamale's) and the power went out, so we ate by LED lamps until Octavio got the
little generator running.  At least it waited until after the contest!