[3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:10:23 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Alajuela, Costa Rica
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   18    16
   80:  224    43
   40:  500    53
   20:  650    56
   15:  469    44
   10:  172    27
-------------------
Total: 2033   239  Total Score = 1,457,661

Club:

Comments:

Station: TI5KD

Rig: Elecraft K-2

Antennas:

Quad up 25 meters, 4 el 10M, 3 el 15M and 20M

TH6 Tribander up 25 meters, fixed north

2 el yagi for 40M up 30 meters

2 el 40M Quad fixed at 20 degrees

80M loop with apex up 27 meters

160M inverted L

Almost all my Qs were by CQing. The only time I did S&P was when I switched to
a new band and wanted to find out what was going on.

160 was a surprise for me. I think my max no. of Qs on 160 before this was
maybe three.  But as I called the strong stations, they actually came back to
me this time! All my Qs on 160 were S&P or arranged form 80 M.

All my Qs on 10 meters came during a single opening on Sunday aftenoon. I had
monitored 10 meters both days but only heard a few South Americans. Suddenly
at
about 21:00 Sunday, I heard N2IC calling someone 599+. I went near his
frequency
and started calling CQ. Within a minute or two all hell broke loose. Every Q I
made on 10 M was in the 1 1/2 hours that followed.

Several times I had huge pile-ups on me on 80, 40 20 and 10 meters. I am not
very proficient working dense pile-ups like that and appreciate the patience
of
the ops calling me, especially with my QRP signal operating simplex. I worked
every pile through until there were no callers. I have learned what it is like
to be at the other end of a pile-up and I have tremendous respect fot those
ops
who work them so efficiently like the the group at K5D or many of the great
contesters!

Once again, I have to thank Keko (TI5KD) and his lovely wife Sophia who also
has a ham license, for the use of their fantastic station and for their
wonderful hospitality.

....Bill   W8QZA / TI5N