[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:17:55 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas, Tx
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:   55    40
   80:  223    65
   40:  718    93
   20:  863    93
   15:  131    45
   10:   21    10
-------------------
Total: 2011   346  Total Score = 2,051,088

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

This contest was uneventful, which is good. This makes 3 contests in a row
without any weather related down time - the opposite of the luck I was having
year ago. In any case, my new homebrew noise cancelling headphones work so
well,
I will no longer know when it's time to shut down unless I see a lightning
flash
or feel the building shake. My intent with this project was to eliminate
amplifier and air conditioner noise, which was a serious problem effecting
copy
of weaks signals. Scores are improving.

The low bands were great the first night. 160 was so good that I didn't spend
enough time on 80, but I think this helped the mult total. 40 was runnable to
EU until at least 0900z, when I switched to JA. On the second night the bands
were very noisy and rates were not good anywhere. They were quiet for the JA
opening, but there weren't as many callers. The JA turnout for CQWW always
seems to be better. If I were a DX station, I wouldn't be much interested in a
contest where I could only work 2 countries. There are always more rare mults
on the bands when the format is world-works-world.

So 20 was good both days, with high rate pileups which did NOT last all
morning. 15 & 10 were awful, but on Sunday I did find a runnable 1/2 hour
opening on 15 that extended as far as eastern Europe. Without it, the mult
total on that band would have been horrible. The opening on 10 was not only
short, but the east coast did not get it. It breaks my heart ;-)

As always, the hospitality extended by Jay and Sharon was excellent.

Roy -- AD5Q