[3830] ARRLDX CW F6ARC(@F6CTT) SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW F6ARC(@F6CTT) SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 07:28:53 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: F6ARC
Operator(s): F6ARC
Station: F6CTT

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Nr Retiers
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80: 1058    54
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1058    54  Total Score = 171,396

Club:

Comments:

Some weeks ago, I spent a couple of hours modeling two 3-element wire beams
(phone + CW version) in order to make an impact on my score.

One week before the contest, Joseph F6CTT put up the 80m phone antenna and
made
several tests on the air. Obviously, reports could claim that the wire beam
was
working as expected. For the first time, receive on it was as good or often
better than on the long Beverage. The day before the contest, Joseph
lengthened
all wires to get the antenna resonant in the CW portion band. There was every
indication that it should do the trick. I believed so, but read what happened
next.

It was a slow start on the first 30 minutes of the contest. However, the rate
remained relatively steady later during the night: 680 QSOs/52 mults at
sunrise.
The second night was not productive at all (slow rate, no pile-up): poor
conditions or less activity? Only two additional mults logged - a nightmare!
It
was so frustrating that I was about to give up on Sunday morning. Since this
bad
experience, I've been wondering what happened.

Nevertheless, always a pleasure to participate in the ARRL contests.
Thanks to Joseph F6CTT for having lent me his equipment, and to all W/VE
stations who took the time to call me. I'll try to do better next time!

Rig: TS-950 + h.m. amplifier
Ant: 3-element wire beam + one long Beverage

Oliver - F6ARC
http://www.dxbeam.com
http://www.win-test.com